Dear Sister CW:
I have to be honest here. I thought you were a little crazy when you "invited" the sisters to read the Book of Mormon in 30-60 days. I looked at the schedule of reading 9-17 pages a day and felt the impossible. I considered the 60 day program. I might could handle 9 pages a day, then thought better of it (I'm good to get in a page at best).
It took me 10 days to lower my pride and come to my senses. Ten days of the 60 that I squandered away--telling myself I didn't HAVE to read it in 60 days. It wasn't a commandment (Thou shalt read the BofM in 60 days or less). I set my sights lower--I would just be sure to get in a few verses everyday. THEN, I realized that's what I have been doing for oh, about 4 years.
Obviously, I was in needed of a boost to my reading. It was time. I had the daily habit of nibbling, but not feasting in the Word of God. I had mastered nibbling. I also realized that this "invitation" to read had nothing to do with Sister CW, but EVERYTHING to do with me. She was inspired to give the invitation, because she knew it would do each of us some good. I realized that yep, I didn't HAVE to take the invitation. However, if I did--it would only be to my benefit. Why not put the scriptures a little higher on the priority list for awhile?
Sister CW, I think of you daily. Each day that I look at my scriptures. Guess what, Sister CW? My scriptures have been used and appreciated more in the last 10 days than they have in years. I needed Nephi and his experiences to get me through the week. I can't tell you the number of times that I drew upon what I had read to help me in my life experiences or in talking with my children. Also, days were more "manageable" when scriptures were read and pondered. Coinsidence? I think not.
Sister CW, I've now hit Isaiah. It's a little bumpy to get in the reading and understand. Kinda feel like I'm trudging through mud a bit. Slow going. I'm a little behind in my reading (should be reading and not blogging!). However, I have high hopes to get lost in Alma and Helaman. Surely, I shall catch up my reading when I get lost in the tales of the 2,000 obedient boys, Captain Moroni, and such.
Mostly, Sister CW, I wanted to say "Thank You." I needed the inspiration and motivation to make my life a little more meaningful by getting lost in the scriptures. I wipe away my thought that your invitation was crazy. It was brilliant. I sorrow that my heart was so hard that it took me TEN days to jump on the wagon. I'm just glad I jumped on.
Ever your grateful friend, Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment