Friday, February 6, 2009

Cancer

For the past 28 hours, a local radio station has been doing a "radio marathon" to raise money for children with cancer. They have told the stories of many local kids and their families. Heart wrenching! Listening to their stories, I realize that a "bad" day to me, really isn't such a bad day. I can't imagine having to watch your child suffer. Nothing like a figurative kick-in-the-booty to make you realize how good you have it.

Cancer is a cruel thing. Three of my four grandparents died from cancer. The only good thing I can say about the disease is that it gives you time to say goodbye. However, even that is a double edged sword. Watching loved ones suffer and deteriorate is beyond difficult. I hate cancer. I think it's a legitimate thing to hate. Hate is a strong word.

I read through my college-life journal the other day. Wish I would have written more. Most of the journal is filled with lamentations for not writing in such a long time. Anyway, I did write about when my Grandma Smith passed away. She had ovarian cancer (I think). She fought a good battle, but the cancer whittled her away. I'm glad that I wrote about my last conversation with her. Priceless. I had forgotten many of the details surrounding her last weeks of life and the funeral. Thank heavens for the journal.

So, I resolved that blogging seems to be my avenue for journaling these days. I do keep a "spiritual journal" by my bed. I can't seem to keep up with a daily journal, but blogging provides a delightful outlet. It's my only means for documenting our life at this stage. Plus, I think it's fun.

No comments: