Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Survival



Hi. My Name is Julie. I think I have a problem. I think it might not be a bad problem, but some might disagree. I get a thrill out of "Summer Programs." I'm sure it's something my kids will tell their kids about (for good or for bad) when they are parents. I can hear them now, "Oh yeah, well, do you know what MY mom made us do every summer?"

Secretly, I have to admit that this summer's program has brought me joy. I don't know if it's the bright colors. Or maybe the feeling that we were getting things done. Or the fact that the older boys were so independent about doing it. Or that I felt we were well-rounded in the things we could accomplish.

Anyway, I borrowed the general idea from a friend (thanks Heidi!). Each day the kids (and Mom!) had things to work on that involved: MIND, BODY, SPIRIT, and HOME. We added to it a Morning Meeting that actually turned out to be my favorite part.

Vacations made it hard to keep steady on the program and got us out of the habit of Morning Meetings. However, tomorrow is Monday. A good day to start Morning Meetings again! AND we only have 2 weeks left until school.

Overall, it's been a successful program. It accomplished the goals we needed to achieve this summer (like keeping Mom's sanity and spending quality time with one another...).

I think it will rate as one of my favorite "Julie-Produced-Summer-Programs"--right up there with the year we did the "Hancock School of Hogwarts."

I guess this is what happens when a school teacher retires early...she fills her "need" to teach by instituting "learning programs" over the summer. Poor kids. Or maybe they're the lucky ones. Maybe. If you ask them, I suppose it would depend on the day.

1 comment:

runningfan said...

I love your take on my summer program -- and that you had your own tasks!! And the morning meeting idea is awesome. I bet I'll steal that in the future!