Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Long and the Short of It (ok, actually there is nothing short about this post)






So, on Saturday, I planted myself down with a blow dryer, a flat iron, and the partial-draft of Stephenie Meyer's Midnight Sun on my computer. An hour and a half later, I had straight hair! My hair is longer than it's ever been...probably since I was 10. I just couldn't resist the temptation to see it without curls. With curls, I lose about 5-7 inches in appearance. That's a crazy thing about curly hair.
I haven't had a haircut in a LONG time (dare I even admit it!...15 months! What?!? My mom is probably twisting in her sleep right now! In my defense, the way I have to "product" my hair to avoid the Portland frizz limits the damage since I don't use a curling iron or much of a blow dryer.)
My childhood dream was always to be a "Mom with Long Hair." From my childhood perspective, it seemed that when you became a "mom," you had to get a short haircut. Then a lady moved into our Richfield ward, who was a mom with long hair! I vowed then to be a mom with long hair. The other day, recalling my vow, I had a "ah-ha" moment and discovered I had arrived!
Mind you, I've NEVER had the neck length hairdo...it just doesn't bode well with my type of curly hair (imagine Ronald McDonald...).
Reactions from the family were comical: Jenna noticed right away and had to touch it. She proudly exclaimed that my hair now looked like hers (straight) and that I had princess hair. She was excited to find out that I would let her comb it (something that NEVER happens with curly hair).
The sad part came when I went outside to take the kids to the ward Trunk-or-Treat. It was raining. My hair caught one wiff of the humidity and began to grow. Darn rain! Foiled was my plans for silky, straight hair as "Jungle Woman Hair" was quickly materializing. Darn rain! Oh well, a quick braid job made for good Princess Leia hair (Straight hair always looks better in braids than curly hair...so I told myself to justify that my 1 1/2 hours of pain was worth the sacrifice). Good thing Midnight Sun was a good read!

1 comment:

runningfan said...

I noticed in a recent picture that your hair was getting long...but WOW! You have definitely arrived. I never will. :(